Re: Step by Step

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:51:57 -0700
 To:  Cliff Rockson <rockson3(at)pacbell.net>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>On my budget, I can't even afford
>to buy a $5.00 magazine, let alone a $20-$30 book. I need to get work right
>now! After my first completed site design, I'll be able to buy those things
>I need.

About all you can do is rely on word of mouth and pound the pavement,
looking for clients. It will be a major act of trust to sign up a
designer with no resources and no record so you need to compensate
with excellent salesmanship and excellent follow through. You are
looking to do the hardest (and least likely to succeed) form of
bootstrapping.

I doubt you are really ready to start a business but if you are
committed enough and resourceful enough, it is possible. But you are
stepping up to bat with two strikes.

Note that many of the suggestions I and others sent you (e.g.
contacting the SBA, SCORE, Nolo site) cost no money. If those
suggestions are not of any value to you, then I think you're stepping
up with 2.9 strikes against you. Swing all your bats like crazy and
hope the umpire is not looking.